UOC GYNECOLOGIC ONCOLOGY AND ONCOFERTILITY CENTER
The main fields of research include:
- Minimally invasive surgery (MIS) for the treatment of gynecological tumors,
- Impact of COVID-19 in gynecologic surgery,
- Immunologic pathway of endometrial tumors,
- Ovarian tissue cryopreservation (bank of ovarian tissue),
- Diagnosis and treatment of endometrial diseases with hysteroscopy.
We gave our contribution to an European study (SUCCOR) comparing MIS and laparotomy for the treatment of cervical cancer, with the aim of clarifying a debated field in gynecologic oncoloy.
The first international reccomendation for gynecologic surgery during the COVID-19 pandemic were produced by our group. Sentinel-node biopsy is commonly used in our division for endometrial and cervical cancer, regarding ovarian cancer a big multicenter trial is ongoing. Several studies have been published in the field of hysteroscopy during 2020.
A study aimed to understand immune escape mechanisms in endometrial adenocarcinomas has been published and another in the same field is ready for pubblication. Thanks to the award of a ministerial grant, a big project on immunology in endometrial cancer will start soon.
Research of the bank of ovarian tissue is mainly focused on:
- In vitro maturation of immature antral oocytes retrieved from the ovarian cortex,
- Validation of the procedures of freezing and thawing of the ovarian tissue,
- Extraction of genomic DNA from cancer patients for mutational analysis.